Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Khairul Vows To Keep His Temper In Check

KUALA LUMPUR: Penang hockey defender Mohd Khairul Naim Johari has a history of violent behaviour which has cost him dear.

As a fifth former at Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) in 2010, Khairul struck a fellow student and was lucky to escape with just a warning.

However, he was dropped from the Project 2013 squad the same year for indiscipline.
Add caption

But he could not keep his fiery temper in check and hit another fellow student last year. This time, he paid a heavy price as he was expelled from the BJSS pre-university course he was doing.

Khairul almost gave up hope and hockey, but he was given a lifeline by Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) team manager Amir Azhar Ibrahim, who invited him to play for them in the Malaysian Junior Hockey League (MJHL) this year.

The 19-year-old Khairul has been a changed person since joining UniKL.

He is not only marshalling the defence well and keeping a lid on his temper, but has also been named assistant skipper of the team.

Khairul said that being expelled from the BJSS pre-university course was the most depressing moment of his life.

“I’m ashamed of my past as I had a history of beating up players. Because of my bad temper I lost my chance to get into a local university,” said Khairul.

“I almost gave up hope ... but it all changed when I was given a second chance by UniKL team manager Amir.

“I’d like to thank Amir for having faith in me. I have promised myself not to lose my temper and hit anyone again.”

Khairul now wants to repay UniKL’s belief in him by helping the university team reach the final.

Division One runners-up UniKL face BJSS in the semi-final first leg at the National Hockey Stadium in Bukit Jalil today while the return leg is on Friday.

UniKL qualified for the last four by hammering MSSPP-USM 9-2 on aggregate.

The university team have a psychological advantage as they edged BJSS 3-2 in the league.

Khairul said they would face a strong challenge from BJSS who gave them a real good fight in their earlier clash.

“We failed to retain the Division One title, losing out to SSTMI (Tunku Mahkota Ismail Sports School)-Thunderbolt on goal difference. But I’m confident that we can rise to occasion and get the better of BJSS to qualify for the final,” said Khairul.

SSTMI-Thunderbolt face MBI-Anderson in the other semi-final.

Thunderbolt of Johor Baru will start as favourites against the Ipoh team having trounced them 6-0 in the league.

The final will be played at the Azlan Shah Stadium in Ipoh on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment